Friday, April 13, 2012

Mind. Body. Soul. (Art Journaling)

Journal entries for Mind. Body. Soul.

After Spring break for the petite first grader, hosting Easter for a crowd, and then having company for the last week, I'm happy to finally get back to the studio (er, "guest room") and get some paint under my fingernails. I worked on a couple of journal pages (one of which I attempted to start during the hiatus) and wanted to share the results with you here.

The following pages are inspired by sweet Leslie's Art Journaling e-course, Mind. Body. Soul, and are based upon the word of the week (4), "Overcome:" 

"O. ver. come"

"To get over, surmount difficulty . . ."
(like getting a photo of this in the rain!)

To create this background, a base of blue Caran D'ache watercolor crayons was covered in a mixture of crackle paste and black ink before being dried and then sanded down. Additional layers of blue crackle paint and black marker complete the base for a ripped, distressed and highlighted (with glitter gel pen ;) dictionary definition of the word, Overcome

"Who'll carry the torch?"

Mother Goose images and text covered in Distress Ink and acrylic

Stamped, painted and highlighted Baby Buggy 
with vintage milk cap & Swarovski crystal wheels

Decorative papers & Stickles glitter

Did you know that Christy Tomlinson had a line of scrapbook and papers and embellishments!? Okay, you probably did, but I was thrilled to find a gorgeous, colorful collection of double-sided papers that would make anyone squeal. I found them on a recent trip to San Diego, CA, in the most adorable paper boutique called Paper Tales. The new line of papers can be seen on their beautiful Paper Tales blog.

I started this one with a base of orange watercolor crayons which was layered with yellow acrylic, various stamps and a vintage Mother Goose image and nursery rhyme. The quote reads, "To overcome difficulties is to experience the full delight of existence." (Arthur Schopenhauer).

Thank you for looking! Check out Mind. Body. Soul. for week 5's journal word, Renew. . .  

Kristin xo

20 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful work, love those colours, so vibrant and full of life! Have a good weekend, hugs, Valerie

Lesley Edmonds said...

Hi Kristin,
I love how this page evolved. It's wonderful. Great images incorporated too.
I have ordered CT's new line of goodies from her website Scarlet Lime and await them with excitement - they just take such a long time to get here from the US. Enjoy!!
x

Mandy said...

Ooooow...love this...the colours are my favourites...i love the little girl and that pram ..just beautiful...xxx

Jenny said...

Beautiful and gorgeous pages Kristin... love the mix of crackle, ink and sanding... and so glad you got back to your studio...

Hugs
Jenny x

Diane said...

This has to be one of my favorites--love it!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Wow, this is just so cool and so clever! Love it!

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh what a treasure this book is, amazing!

K J D said...

I love these pages.... especially the pram with the milk top lid!

Have a great weekend

Janet Ghio said...

Wonderful pages. I love the orange!

Unknown said...

Awesome page! Love your use of color, yet none of them over power each other. Great eye.

Joanna said...

Absolutely stunning! Love the background and everything you've done here. Fantastic!

x

Daniele Valois said...

This really came together just perfectly. THe colors, the quote, and the scallop!!! There is a great flow, and all the tiny details! It is sad, but not really, since it is about overcoming difficulties! It is so you and perfect! It will totally end up in Artful Journaling!

Netty said...

Naughty girl letting that pram roll down the hill.....cry she may well do....grouch grouch.............lol
Loving your two page spread, such fab colours and design. Enjoy the weekend Kristin. x

mette laumann said...

You make it look so easy! I'm loving your pages .....and your dog
Nice weekend
xo Mette

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

Wonderful pages again Kristin!!! I love the white coming through all that "darkness." Loving the pram... I always wanted one. ;) I have heard of Paper Tales...I bet it is filled with all kinds of goodies. Happy weekend!! xoxo

Janet said...

Such wonderful pages. I hope things are more settled now so you can enjoy creating again. It's fun having company but it's also fun when they go home and you can get back to making art!

Unknown said...

I love these two journal spreads. They are both so different, but powerful in their own way. I like the bits of blue showing through in the first one and the contrast between the blue and orange in the second one. I love all the sparkly bits. Thanks for sharing and all the wonderful comments that you leave me. You are a wonderful person and very encouraging.

sugar Creek said...

Love these pages! Lovin that bright orange! The thing is, I have a hard time with double sided papers, I don't know which one to use! xx

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, wonderful pages! I'll say it again. This course really suits you... your pages are fantastic!

scrapwordsmom said...

As always your work is stunning. Kristin I appreciate your support of my ecourse. Have a beautiful day:)