Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Deck The Halls II

30' Handmade Christmas Wreath
Detail of Spode snowman and "moss" balls
Detail of vintage boot and glitter ornaments

Let's start with one of my favorite holiday pieces - our handmade 30 inch Christmas wreath. A few yeas ago I decided that I would forgo the traditional holiday decor that we had in favor of hot candy colors in turquoise, green and pink. I deemed it "Candyland Christmas" and made it as over the top as I could . . .

It began with a wreath that I saw in a holiday magazine. They showcased a craft store form that was enhanced using bits and pieces of old and/or broken ornaments in addition to new items bought for the occasion. I loved how bold and full it was and decided right away that I was going to tackle the project myself. . . So I purchased a large green faux wreath and began to fill, fill, fill it with old and new matte, shiny, broken and sentimental pieces from our collection. I bought glitter balls from the Martha Stewart collection, cheap miniature balls from the dollar store, used decorative "moss" balls that I had in a bowl on some counter somewhere (nothing was safe!) and, most importantly, was able to add sentimental ornaments from our childhood that now had a special place to be showcased. Close inspection uncovers everything from stuffed animals (the pig in the post below) to broken Spode china pieces that we purchased on our honeymoon. . .

It continues to be one of my favorites because there is so much to look at and so much to remember . .  .  including the memories of all the hot glue burns I received while making it . . .

Thanks for looking! Our next Deck The Halls post will cover decorative uses of aprons . . . stay tuned . . .

Kristin xo

11 comments:

Regina said...

LOVE IT!!! What an awesome memory keeper.

Hugs,
Regi

Mandy said...

wow..fantastic...i don't really have decos from my childhood, but what a lovely idea...the colours are gorgeous!!!xxx

K J D said...

Hi Kristin

I LOVE the wreath...... I was wondering how you got it ALL on the wreath - now I know with burns!!!! It's gotta be worth it though.... it is a treasure!

Karenx

scrapwordsmom said...

This is a fabulous idea for me!! I have soooo many ornaments that I want to do something with. Love this!!!!!!!!!

JessiVille said...

Hi Kristin, Your wreath is truly spectacular! And so big! Thank you for sharing. I am making an ornament wreath too! It is much smaller than yours in all glass orns. I didn't think to use a xmas wreath for the base. What a pain it's been - burns and all! I will post it on my blog next week. - Hugs

Jenny said...

Oh my gosh Kristin, it is divine... love those gorgeous happy colors... what an awesome keepsake...

Jenny x

Joyce said...

I just love your style! Your blog is now my get happy place. You always have something cheerful going on!

Giovanna said...

Fabulous idea! Love it!
xoxo
Giovanna
Boho Market

E Makes Art said...

Hi! Sorry I've been missing, I hope you had a good Thanksgiving! I love this wreath, what a keepsake to cherish for you and your family! And I love "Candyland Christmas"...you are so darn clever!! I love it!!

xoEsther

Carin said...

Fabulous! Just love it! Love that you've been able to recycle some broken bits in there too- great idea!

Tahnya Marie said...

Oh my gosh! That's so awesome! If I had the time, I would make one for this year, but I am still busy making gifts. My slow hands. :( I love your wreath! It's perfectly fabulous and I think I am going to add it to my "must haves" list for Christmas... next year. lol.
PS. I love the green background... green is my favourite colour.